Friday, September 24, 2010

Och! My aching back!

Och! Some much for my idea of doing 500 words per day for blog posts. Damn. I am so far behind on that. And it is not laziness or other obligations getting in the way. Well, okay, maybe a little bit of laziness, but for the most part not. Shortly after I decided to do this little project I wound up hurting myself at work. I had gotten tired of the condition of the cooler and decided to do something about it.

Yea. Very good idea on my part. REALLY! First thing I did was pick up a nearly empty milk crate, it has like four quarts of heavy whipping cream, and I felt the muscles in my lower back spasm and a do a little ripple across the spine. Now, I should have known that that was a clue not to do any more lifting that shift. Or at least not as much as I proceeded to do. But I was in a snit and wanted to do something to work off my frustration.

By the time I was done in the cooler you could see the floor from one end to the other. Everything was neatly put away on proper shelving, and the reach-in shelves were stocked completely.  Not very often I get to do that from start to finish in one shift, so I was quite pleased with myself. Unfortunately, it didn't take but a day or two for the cooler to turn into a complete again, but it was done. (Seems the boss got a wild hair that same week to recorganize the back room....and he did the same thing to his back.)

So, standing, sitting, laying down. They all hurt after a while. And taking ibuprofen or other pain relievers is not doing much good anymore. I either have to live with it or break down and go to a doctor about it. It may have been work related, but after two weeks there is no way I convince them to cover the bill. So I am SOL on that end. No insurance right now, so I think I will live with it and hope that I do something to put everything back in place. Yes, I am stubborn.

I do take ibuprofen and or tylenol on a regular basis right now to deal with the pain, but it does little good.  I have been wearing a lumbar belt whenever doing any required lifting at work. Damned things just as big of a pain to wear as it is to go without, but I do feel it keeping things where they are....if that is what I really want. I dunno. I suppose it would help even more if I managed not to fall asleep on the sofa every day this past week.

2 comments:

  1. 1) Left with the legs and not the back.
    2) Find the bed.
    3) You have a laptop, no excuse for not writing in bed. ;)

    Anyway, I know what ya mean. My little twitch I told you about is much, much better now. It eventually worked it's way out. I still have a few aches in my shoulder, but nothing as bad as it was for awhile. Now, if I could only get to bed at decent hours. Damn adrenaline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry: I was lifting the crate with my legs. I was in a crouched position, back straight. Lifted the crate and felt the muscles move wrong.

    And I know that the laptop means I can type anywhere, but any position hurts! lol

    ReplyDelete