Thursday, June 30, 2011

R.I.P. Uncle Raymond

What a week! Tuesday Henry calls me after dropping his wife off at the airport, he's sick. So we scrap our plans for me to go to the DMV with him so he can get his driver's license. A few hours later he calls, and calls, and calls (I was passed out in bed) trying to tell me he is in the ER with kidney stones. When I finally get his messages and call him back, our nephew and his wife are at the hospital with him and are going to take him home. Good.

Last night both Mom and Henry try to get a hold of me around 10 and 10:30. I was still somewhat out of it from weird dreams an exhausting day. Henry calls me again this morning at 7:15. I had to call him back as I was still at work. He tells me that our uncle Raymond is in the hospital with heart issues. Raymond is our mother's brother-in-law and the only uncle we have (Uncle Carl, Dad's ex-brother-in-law died years ago). So, when I get home I try to call Mom and find out how he is doing, call goes straight to voice mail.

I think, "okay, she must be on the phone or something."

An hour or so later, Mom calls me. She's in the car with our cousin Mindy, they are on their way to Greeley, Colorado. Uncle Raymond passed away this morning.

FUCK! I say to myself. Mom was unable to reach Henry. Henry was at his doctor for a follow up visit regarding the kidney stones. So after I get off the phone with Mom, and getting assurances that she will call me later with details and funeral arrangements, I send Henry a text. He calls me back rather quickly.

I told him what happened. He had already prepared himself for such news. Good for him. I didn't have any real time to prepare myself. But my own fauly for not returning phone calls.

Have no clue, at this point, how we are going to make it out to Colorado for the funeral. But Henry's wife is due back Saturday from her trip. I will have to make some arrangements with work and other issues to go, but I am going.

Enough for now. I just wanted to get out somehow. And talking with friends who never met Raymond is no help. No offense to them. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment