Friday, April 2, 2010

The Journey Continues

Going into day five of my quit smoking journey. And I feel miserable. I woke up Wednesday night with a sore throat. Apparently I have sinus drainage and it decided to leave a raw spot in my throat. I finally got a bloody gobbit of mucus hacked out of there about 3am or so Thursday while I work. But I was far from feeling 100% better.

Got home from work yesterday and figured I would relax a bit by watching a little TV. I was sweating like a pig. But I just wrote it off to the first day of really Spring like weather. We were in the mid to upper 80's yesterday after all. But when I went to bed I was not only sweating, I was shivering. Guess I had a fever. Been fighting a fever on and off since then, actually.

Woke up the first time around 1pm, went to the bathroom and decided that if I still felt miserable in a couple of hours I would call out from work. Woke up every hour after that - making trips to the bathroom each time. Finally called out sick around 5:30pm I hate calling out sick! Spent the whole night either watching TV or trying to sleep.

This morning I still have a sore throat, but not near as bad. I am warm, but I think the fever is finally gone. I am going to watch a little more TV and then head off to bed. With any luck, I will be fit as a fiddle in time for work tonight. Either way, I have to go to work.

ON THE TOBACCO FRONT: After a few cheats with a cigar, hacking and choking the whole way, I have gone well over 24 hours without tobacco. I've even gone over 24 hours with nicotine! The true test is going to be getting through a visit with smoker-friends without caving in and bumming off of them. But I do not see that happening for a few days yet.

1 comment:

  1. The hardest part is the social aspect, IMO. It sucks but my best advice is to avoid those situations as much as possible until you are further along in your battle. It's like a sex addict going to a strip club. It's a challenge to your will that likely will end badly.

    Being smoke free myself now for about 8 years I cannot even be around cigarette smoke any more. It's just foul to me. However, there are still occasional moments when I think, wow a smoke would be good.

    It's a hard road you are traveling, but one worth taking!

    ReplyDelete