Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence and Freedom


Greetings and happy 4th of July weekend!

Today the United States of America celebrates it's independence. This celebration of freedom and independence reminds of what it is that the United States supposedly stands for as well as what the Pagan and LBGT+ Communities have been fighting for for decades.

The good ol' U.S. of A. was founded and built upon the principles of freedom and independence. Have we ever truly upheld those principles? No. Instead we have continued to oppress others, even our own citizens. I won't go into a long drawn out discourse on the failures of the government to uphold its own constitution and laws. That is a waste of time. We all know how the government has failed us. What is more important is how we have failed ourselves.

We, as people of this planet, let alone of the United States, have failed miserably over the last almost two hundred and twenty five years. Slavery, oppression of women, hatred and fear of other countries, neglect of our children, bigotry towards difference religions and other ways of loving. The Declarationof Independence and the Consitutition and her Amendments may have been written by white, Anlgo Saxon, Prostestants, but that does not mean that we cannot take advantage of those guidelines and laws; as well as our own personal freedom of will to make this world a better place.

My personal missions in life, among many others, is to help bring about a safer and more understanding atmosphere for the Pagan Community and also for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender/sexual Communities. I do not feel that these two communities are in any way mutually exclusive. The number of LBGT+ persons I know who also call themselves Paganis staggering. Perhaps it is because the Pagan community and the religions and spiritualities that fall under that umbrella are so much more open and accepting of differences in sexual as well as romantic relationships than the more mainstream and monotheistic religions. And that idea is very readily conveyed by the original interpretation of the Raindow or Gay Pride Flag as pictured here. (I know, they have harmony misspelt.) Most, if not all, of the concepts behind the Flag also pertain to Paganism. Yes, even sex.

As I said, many in the LBGT+ community tend to lean towards Paganism in some flavor or another. I chose my path, or rather it chose me, not because I was gay, but because I felt like I had come home. I know that sounds rather cliche, but it is true. I grew Seventh-day Adventist, not the most accepting of denominations. When I was able to start exploring religion and spirituality on my own, I found that I was more inclined towards the Earth-based paths. I do firmly believe that if my father, who was a minister, were alive today that he would be joining the Pagan Alliance Network's discussion groups and applauding my on my chosen path and lifestyle. He was a very encouraging person. But that is neither here nor there at the moment. What is important right now is that Wicca and many of the other Pagan paths are more open and accepting of differences in sexuality. About the only things they do not condone are rape, pedophilia and beastiality.

What does bother me, though, is that in this country we are often faced with oppression and discrimination by our supposed fellow citizens. You will find that even within the Pagan community from time to time. I have experienced personally.

WTF!? I guess no matter what the path you choose, your mind and heart can still be closed to your fellow man.

-=-
I do have a lot more to say on these topics. But tonight is not the time for me to blather on about them.



No comments:

Post a Comment