Monday, July 13, 2009

Shoulda, coulda, woulda...but didna.

/thud/
I was laid off from a retail hobby store in January of this year. Finally, after MONTHS of hunting for work, I went back to a former employer with my hat in hand and tail between my legs. Here is a basic run down of the conversation last Thursday:

"Hey, Sandi, I brought my friend Michael in to apply with you and I thought I would see if I could talk to you."

"Let's go back to the conference room."

"Okay." And we go into the conference room.

"Dr. Phil, what can I do for you?"

So I told her the story and we talked about what happened when I left the previous time I worked for them. Confusing thing, that. No one really knows what happened. I went in to work, was told by the receptionist that they were under the impression I didn't work there anymore. They called their boss and I called mine. My boss said the client fired me, their boss said I was still able to work there. So no one really knows.

"I'll have to talk it over with Jon and get back with you."

We return to the lobby and Michael is ready to turn in his application. Jon comes out of his office, "Hey, Dr. Phil, what's new with you." And I told him briefly. He couldn't remember what happened but said for me to go ahead and fill out an application. So I did.

Less than half an hour ago I got off the phone with Sandi. I go in tomorrow morning at 10 to fill out my rehire paperwork.

Woot!

Now, I shoulda gone in back in January. I probably woulda been working this whole time. But I didn't know if I woulda been hired back, coulda at least tried. But I didna until now.

Oh, well. Back to work. Janitorial services at a manufacturing plant. Not the most glamorous job, but it is a pay check and I get to work with some neat people!

No comments:

Post a Comment